“Denied, Denied, Denied” were the harmonious words heard over and over again”

After filing mutiple motions in a last ditch effort to build a reasonable defense for George Zimmerman, defense attorneys Mark O’Mara and Don West walked gloomily out of the courtroom today. Without much help from Judge Nelson, their day was a wash.

Circuit Judge Debra Nelson ruled that defense attorneys will not be able to mention Trayvon Martin’s school suspension, alleged participation in fights or his past use of marijuana.

Trayvon Martin

As any first-year law student would know, Mark O’Mara’s strategy to post online photos and text messages from Trayvon’s cellphone was not only a way to victimize Zimmerman’s victim again but a blatant sleazy attempt to tarnish the jury pool. As expected, O’Mara’s request to have such garbage entered into evidence was quickly denied.

In other rulings, the judge refused to allow jurors to travel to the crime scene predicting that the excursion would be “a logistical nightmare” and she also refused the defense request to have jurors sequestered.  As for the defense’s request to delay the start of the trial, that was denied too. As Judge Debra Nelson previously ruled, the trial will begin June 10, 2013.

As the 2 hour hearing continued, the prosecution won another victory. Judge Nelson granted their request to withhold information as to why it took so long for Zimmerman to be charged with second-degree murder. She ruled that no dialogue or information will be allow from officers of Sanford Police Dept. or State attorneys as to why they originally decided not to arrest George Zimmerman.
GZ hearing 5 28
However, she granted the defense team’s request to hold a hearing as to whether the prosecution failed to turn over evidence.  A former attorney in the State’s office has charged the prosecution with withholding Trayvon’s cellphone photographs and text messages.  From my understanding this issue will be handled sometime after the trial.

Judge Nelson announced she will hold a Frye hearing on June 6th to hear arguments about whether to admit testimony from state audio expert, Alan Reich.  In this report sent to prosecutor Bernie de la Rionda, Mr. Reich says the audio of a 911 call has the voice of Trayvon Martin in a screaming trembling voice, “I’m begging you.”

After the Hearing

Benjamin Crump, an attorney for Trayvon’s family, said his family was pleased with the judge’s rulings. “Trayvon Martin is not on trial,” Mr. Crump said.

After the hearing, Robert Zimmerman, George’s brother, called on the state to drop the second-degree murder charges.  He added “In this country. You don’t charge someone with any crime solely to assuage the concerns of misinformed masses,” he said, according to CNN.

News Conferences

Watch Trayvon Martin’s Family

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epQlFxvzXT4

Watch Robert Zimmerman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QG-zQuAASQ

Watch Mark O’Mara

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frBaA86SsQM

Sources:

http://www.talkleft.com/story/2013/5/6/154755/7371/crimenews/George-Zimmerman-Requests-Frye-Hearing-on-911-Call-Screams

Next hearing scheduled June 6

TheJBMission~

Advertisements